Last week Prep W and Prep G students were lucky enough to have a visit from Coral and Morgan (Great Dane) from the Responsible Pet Ownership Education Program.
We learnt how to look after our pets and keep them safe by:
- getting them micro-chipped
- taking them to the Vet for yearly check-ups and vaccinations
- making sure they are wearing their collar with identification
- ensuring they have water every day
We also learnt to recognise:
- times when we should leave dogs alone
- the warning signs given by dogs
- how to safely approach and greet a dog
- what to do if we are approached by an aggressive dog
Some lucky students got to practice how to safely approach and greet a dog with Morgan the Great Dane. He was such a beautiful and gentle dog (and humongous!) They practiced asking the owner for a pat first, approaching the dog slowly with a closed fist and allowing it to smell them, then gently patting the dog’s side. All the student’s loved meeting Morgan!
Thank you again to Coral and Morgan from the Responsible Pet Ownership Program for coming in to visit us at Belle Vue!